Monday, January 3, 2011

Tip of the Day: "Monday Moneysaver"

Today's tip is a "Monday Money Saver". I have been making my own laundry soap for about 3 years now and I love it! My daughter has very sensitive skin and this recipe works well on even the most delicate skin. I have added a few drops of essential oil for a nice scent but the soap itself has a nice 'clean' smell to it too.

I broke down the savings and I was amazed! We were using liquid Tide or another brand that was "free and clear" (with no dyes). We have well water that is quite hard so to get the stains out, we need to use a good branded detergent.  Even on sale, with a coupon I the lowest I could get the price was around .25 cents per load. With the homemade detergent, it comes out to .03 cents per load! Sometimes it is even less if I get the Ivory soap on sale, for instance! That is a savings of .22 cents per load of wash. We do an average of 15 loads of laundry per week,  or about 60 loads per month.  .22 cents x 60 loads =  $13.20 per month savings AND you get a much higher quality soap that is better for your skin and your washer.

Here is the recipe:
http://www.ehow.com/how_2268337_make-powder-homemade-laundry-soap.html

Now, if you have a front loading washer or you want to use liquid, here is the recipe:

http://www.thefamilyhomestead.com/laundrysoap.htm

One last tip: When using the powdered laundry soap, I run a bit of hot water in my washer, add the laundry soap and let it disolve, then add my clothes (and turn it to cold water).  Also, the soap does not make suds--this is normal. Trust me, your clothes will be cleaner than with the store-bought soap!

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for the post! I make a similar laundry soap and use my homemade bar soap and add lavender essential oil. I have a hard time finding washing soda so I have made it without as well and it worked fine.
    http://crurbanhomesteaders.blogspot.com/
    http://woodsedgecreations.vpweb.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Coming to you from Angies! Good Luck on your new Blog and welcome to what I call "Blogland"!! You'll meet the BEST folks on here!! Best Wishes!...debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love homemade laundry soap. Great tip.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been using this recipe for quite a while....didn't seem to work very well..but then realized that I did need to add the hot water first to let it dissolve...now I have problems...and it cleans fine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been making my own detergent for a couple of months now too. I love it! I did have trouble with using it on my delicates, it wouldn't dissolve and left a mess. But I will have to try the warm water trick. I also make my own fabric softner, and dishwasher detergent. I did find with the fabric softner that it doesn't seem to control static during the dry winter months. I'd love to find a solution to that, but for now I've gone back to store bought. Great tip!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looking forward to all the tips you have to share.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am going to try it, Amy. Thanks. XO

    ReplyDelete
  8. You make it without the washing soda? I think the washing soda just gives it a 'boost'. I know some people use baking soda in place of the washing soda and don't have any problem...

    ReplyDelete